Blue Monday. It’s reported to be the day when we feel at our lowest each year. A combination of bad weather, low levels of sunlight, being back at work after holidays, post-Christmas finances and feeling guilty for already breaking our New Year’s resolutions – ‘Blue Monday’ typically the third Monday in January has always been destined to be a pretty sh*t day.
While there’s no scientific proof that this is the most depressing day of the year, the ‘Blue Monday’ name – coined for a travel company press release – has stuck. So, on a day that many of us might dread, we’ve decided to turn it on its head and use today as an opportunity to celebrate the power of self-care and encourage as many people as we can to boost their mental and physical wellbeing.
Self-care has become so important over recent years so here’s a few little things that you can do to give yourself a necessary dose of positivity this ‘Blue MOONday’ and beyond:
- Keep Active – dedicate some time to moving around, be it that winter walk or a new spin class. Exercise is essential for boosting your mood, self-esteem, energy and sleep quality. No one is a bigger advocate of this than our clients Ashley & Emma at Poise Performance. Find out how they can lift your spirits and accelerate your ‘get fit’ resolutions through their range of classes and PT offerings.
- Take Breaks – from your workstation for 5 to 10 minutes every hour – this can help prevent pain and fatigue. Whether you choose to get a drink or do some stretches, your body will thank you.
- Eat well – there are many parts of your life that may feel beyond your control, but your diet doesn’t have to be one of them. In fact, just the act of choosing to eat well puts you in control of your diet, which can help you feel more alert and uplifted. Delving into the detail of what specific ingredients can do to aid our wellbeing is an incredibly enriching experience. We cannot recommend Ashley at A L Health enough for her understanding of nutrition to keep you on track and feeling energised.
- Maintain Your Work/Life Balance – the lines between work and homelife can blur when you work from home, so be clear on your time parameters and set boundaries. You don’t always have to be ‘available’. If you have space for a designated workspace that you can walk away from, that will help you switch off.
- Stay Connected – One of the easiest ways to boost your mood is to catch up with family and friends. Whether a one-on-one chat on the phone or FaceTime, or a Teams call with all of your favourite people, speaking to your loved ones is a sure-fire way to feel happier this Blue Moonday. You could even join in the Samaritans’ Brew Monday. Samaritans are encouraging people to get together over a warming cuppa, with the aim of turning today into something worth smiling about.
- Listen To A Podcast – Many studies have been done on the benefits of podcasts, and what they can do for us mentally. One study proves that podcasts stimulate mental imagery more intensely than watching or reading. They also help us become better listeners and to enrich our minds by learning new things.
If you’re looking for a motivational, uplifting one you could try The Diary Of A CEO hosted by Steven Bartlett or Fearne Cotton’s Happy Place.
If you’re looking for a giggle then we highly recommend Sh**ged, Married, Annoyed with Chris and Rosie Ramsay. Maybe podcasts aren’t your thing? So why not indulge in a new novel – something to set your mind free from the endless work tasks and daily stresses you often find yourself tripped up in.
- Pamper! Pamper! Pamper! – The link between stress and skin is undeniable, and you may already find yourself with dull, dry skin as we approach this Blue Moonday – which is why just 30 minutes of pampering each day could be just what the Doctor (or the Team at BM) have ordered. From a hot bubble bath to a soothing face mask, looking after yourself is one of the most important things you can do…
So, end your day, as we end this blog, in complete gratitude for your health, your happiness and the wonderful people around us. We hope you have a great Blue MOONday!